Bucket List #01: Holi Festival


So to honour the legendary Holi festival this year I thought I would celebrate it by declaring it the first activity on my bucket list! It occurred to me the other night that I should start noting down things I want to do in my life. Then I had the brilliant idea to turn it into a series of blog posts to share to give you inspiration and ideas about what you might want to do in the future. I'm also planning on getting Becs and Han to join in my 'bucket list series' tag so you get ideas from more than just one person. 

Holi is a spring festival and is also known as the festival of colours and love. It mainly occurs in India, Nepal as well as other regions of the world with significant populations of Hindus or people of Indian origin. The festival has now spread to parts of Europe and North America as a spring celebration of love, frolic and colours.

It starts off with a Holika bonfire at night where people gather to sing and dance. The next morning is my favourite part which is a carnival of colours where people chase others through the streets with coloured power and water, some even armed with water guns and balloons. Anyone and everyone is fair game which is something I really like the idea of. Whether your a friend or stranger, rich or poor, young or old, everyone is all in.

I was browsing through the Holi festival tumblr tag and found these fascinating photos of what happens at this event. They really pull you in and allow you to experience the possibilities of attending the festival yourself. I'm not a photographer which means I find it so completely wondrous and beautiful that there are people out there who can capture these amazing moments or facial expressions with just a tilt and click of their camera. I admire that ability.


Just going through these pictures makes me want to be in there involved in all the fun and games! I have a few people I'd love to take with me just to throw some powder in their face, it's the only time I'd probably get away with it.

I have learnt from experience that a lot of the things I list to do later in life come from seeing other people experience it or by reading about it somewhere in a book or online. So I really hope this has been a good kick start to the bucket list series here on BE Beautiful, let the crazy ideas and ambitions begin! 

Emma x



*the rights of the pictures included in this post go to the owners*

0 comments:

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author