Finding Your Other Half

“According to Greek mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs, and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate beings condemning them to spend their lives in search for their other halves.”

~Plato’s The Symposium.

This myth then goes on to explain that these original humans were comprised of both male parts or one part male one part female or both female parts. This is how greek myth explains why there are both homosexual and heterosexual relationships.

Greek myth is a topic I love and this is by far one of my favourite parts. I have read this explanation multiple times. It not only accepts all types of relationships fully but it expresses how powerful the two beings are together when they find their other half. I'm a hopeless romantic when I want to be and this myth warms my heart every time I read it. The idea that love is not only a longing for someone but the relief of being with them once you've found them is poetic.

When describing a myth, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a few thousand words for you.

It's nice to know that at the end of the day there is one person out there looking for their other half just like you.

Emma x


2 comments:

ArrayO'Style inc said...

So beautiful!

Emma Lovewood said...

Glad you like it, I think this is my favourite post that I've written on Be Beaut :)

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author